Re: java and fc16

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: java and fc16
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 18:43:00 -0600

On 11/25/2012 06:12 PM, Philip Nienhuis wrote:
Michael Godfrey wrote
On 11/25/12 11:36 PM, Philip Nienhuis wrote:
I had the same error (jni.h not found) and solved it by, before running
./configure, setting JAVA_HOME to the place where the Java stuff lives.
I thought about that, but since in my system at least, there
seemed to be java stuff here there and everywhere with lots of
symlinks, I decided on a more specific patch.  This was not meant to
be a real solution, just a test.

Yeah, Java installation isn't quite standardized across distros and
operating systems :-(

I know little about Java so started reading, and just got to this topic. There's was a push to standardized, then withdrawn. Now there is the Oracle de facto standard.

Anyway, for those of us unfamiliar to Java, what does the Java package / scripts do? I see the NEWS item about it. It seems like it creates dialog boxes.

Does it create Java Byte Code? Or is it a means to interact with already running Java Byte Code? Are there any security issues by supporting Java in this way?

There are some aspects of the Octave Java support written in C/C++. Is that needed so that the Java support can be cross-platform?

Dan