Re: icons of floating widgets in gui

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: icons of floating widgets in gui
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 13:48:22 -0600

On 11/23/2012 01:07 PM, Torsten wrote:
On 30.10.2012 21:34, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
On 10/30/2012 03:01 PM, Torsten wrote:
On 30.10.2012 20:19, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
On 10/30/2012 02:05 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

OK. Nice! No wonder I had no idea what you were talking about in your
initial post. I guess I personally would sort of like different icons
for the editor, etc. because otherwise it looks like multiple copies of
octave in the workspace bar at the bottom of the screen. Can the
icon be
altered slightly so that one still associates it with Octave but can
still tell it isn't the main window?

But I'm not sure about a completely different icon, as in the case of
the terminal window that you pointed out.  That could get to be too much
and confused with similar icons from different applications.  Instead,
could the Octave icon be used as a backdrop and then maybe put a letter
on top in black or green like 'e' for editor, 'w' for workspace, 'c' for
command window, 'd' for directory window?

Some other idea?

Dan

The terminal icon is the one used so far. The patch mentioned changes it
to the octave logo in order to associate it clearly with octave.

Concerning the new icons I thought of the octave logo with some kind of
mini logo in the lower right corner. Are there some copyrights on the
original logo or is it allowed to post an altered icons as suggestion?

Torsten

That could get sort of small in the workspace menubar, but I think it
would still be clear that the icons are different from the main icon.
Were you thinking to convey information via a different sub-icon for
each function, e.g., like the 'e', 'd', 'c', etc. I suggested?

Copyright?  I'm not sure.  Others?

Dan

I think letters in the icons for the floating widgets would require
different icon sets for different translations. I attached two possible
icons for the editor widget. What do you think?

The letter inside the logo looks nice, but I suppose it doesn't convey the meaning as well as the graphic does. It looks like an application graphic of its own.

Do you think it is possible to come up with some variety of graphics? For example, the command line might have a graphic of a white box with

inside along the left border. And the variable window might be a white box with crossing lines to make a frame or matrix-like pattern.

Dan