Re: [OctDev] complex error function

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: [OctDev] complex error function
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 12:52:55 -0600

On 11/21/2012 11:50 AM, Thomas Weber wrote:
On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 11:11:58AM -0500, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
On 21 November 2012 10:56, Steven G. Johnson<address@hidden>  wrote:
On 11/20/12 4:33 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

I'm still not sure what to do with this code... It sounds useful,
sure, but you didn't write it for Octave except for a small wrapper.

Not sure why that matters?  Most of the math and linear algebra functions in
Octave were not written "for Octave".

It matters from a maintainership and code ownership perspective. If
you're just making a library, why not actually just create such a
library and you go through the hassle of making releases instead of us
gluing your code into Octave? I sure don't want to have to keep two
different copies of the same code in different codebases each with its
own diverging set of bugs. Then we can maintain the Octave-specific
wrapper ourselves and you can keep maintaining your library.

Are you guys seriously considering the creation of a library for 3-4
functions? How many libraries would we have if BLAS was built in that
way?
Get the code included into one of the existing code bases (maybe [1])
or implement erfc for libc. Less work for everybody.

[1]
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_52_0/libs/math/doc/sf_and_dist/html/math_toolkit/special/sf_erf/error_function.html

        Thomas

That is a good idea. It has the added advantage of getting a review and test from folks experienced in underlying math algorithms.

That being said, we do have some libraries in Octave that are pretty small and dedicated to a small set of functions. A few months back we were looking at compiler warnings coming from some of these smaller libraries because they were written in C but compiled as C++.

Dan