Re: [OctDev] complex error function

From: Thomas Weber
Subject: Re: [OctDev] complex error function
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 18:50:32 +0100

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 11:11:58AM -0500, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> On 21 November 2012 10:56, Steven G. Johnson <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On 11/20/12 4:33 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm still not sure what to do with this code... It sounds useful,
> >> sure, but you didn't write it for Octave except for a small wrapper.
> >

> > Not sure why that matters?  Most of the math and linear algebra functions in
> > Octave were not written "for Octave".
>
> It matters from a maintainership and code ownership perspective. If
> you're just making a library, why not actually just create such a
> library and you go through the hassle of making releases instead of us
> gluing your code into Octave? I sure don't want to have to keep two
> different copies of the same code in different codebases each with its
> own diverging set of bugs. Then we can maintain the Octave-specific
> wrapper ourselves and you can keep maintaining your library.

Are you guys seriously considering the creation of a library for 3-4
functions? How many libraries would we have if BLAS was built in that
way?
Get the code included into one of the existing code bases (maybe [1])
or implement erfc for libc. Less work for everybody.

[1]
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_52_0/libs/math/doc/sf_and_dist/html/math_toolkit/special/sf_erf/error_function.html

        Thomas