Re: 4.0 release goals

From: Rik
Subject: Re: 4.0 release goals
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2012 12:49:08 -0700

On 11/01/2012 10:00 AM, address@hidden wrote:
> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 12:59:14 -0400
> From: Jordi Guti?rrez Hermoso <address@hidden>
> To: Octave Maintainers List <address@hidden>
> Subject: 4.0 release goals
>
> I would like to propose some rather ambitious goals for 4.0, and I
> think we should be bold enough to use a major version number.
>
> In case you missed it in the help list, there's an interesting thread
> about the GUI. Israel Herraiz forked it and stabilised it:
>

> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/When-will-the-new-GUI-be-ready-tp4645798p4645846.html
>
> I would like to prioritise getting the GUI stabilised so we can start
> contemplating making a release. I think our 4.0 release goals should
> be:
>
>     - fltk enabled by default
>     - Stable GUI
>     - JIT compiling working
>     - Windows and Mac OS X binaries
>
> We're already made many inroads into many of these goals. What do you
> guys think, can we do it?
I think items 2 and 3 are readily achievable.  I would hope that item 4 is
getting easier since the build system and code tree has been re-organized
and streamlined.  The first item seems the most problematic to me.  I may
be wrong, because I don't spend so much time in the graphics code, but it
seems like having support for double values in the FLTK backend is going to
be difficult.

When are you thinking of a release?  That is the other question.  All of
this is doable given enough time.

--Rik