Re: unimplemented.m documentation

From: Rik
Subject: Re: unimplemented.m documentation
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 13:17:33 -0700

On 10/24/2012 11:48 AM, Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 7:46 PM, Rik <address@hidden> wrote:
>> 10/24/12
>>
>> Juan,
>>
>> Because of the confusion I thought it a good idea to clarify what
>> unimplemented.m does.  It now returns a bit of help text if you call it in
>> the wrong way, including pointing out that this function is not meant to be
>> invoked by users.  See changeset here
>> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/8e6a72cac999.
>>
>> --Rik
> Rik,
> Thank you very much. I am sorry for the error.
> Why is this function not private?
10/24/12

Juan,

It's not private because private functions aren't visible in the PATH
variable.  The add_missing_hook function, which sets up how the Octave
interpreter behaves when it doesn't recognize a function name, needs a
visible function.  We could rename it to __unimplemented__.m to indicate
that it really isn't for users to call.  We already have __makeinfo__ in
the help/ directory which is an example of placing an internal function in
the visible space.

--Rik