Re: Development kit for Octave

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Development kit for Octave
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 10:56:34 -0400

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 8:06 AM, Ole Jacob Hagen <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

Do you have a recipe for how I can use it?

Ole

On 19 October 2012 00:20, Michael Goffioul <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 4:58 PM, Ole Jacob Hagen <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

I'm having Win7 on 64 bit computer, with MSVC-2010 Professional installed.

Does anyone have a Octave development kit ready to be used, so I can build Octave from source?
Maybe something located on a C:\Octave\OctaveSDK where we'll find octave sources, octave-forge packages and all octave's dependencies.

It should be made easy to build octave from scratch, even on Windows.

A few weeks ago, I published by dev environment for Octave/MSVC. It consists of a set of scripts that I use to compile dependencies and octave. I also published a pre-compiled (with VS2010) version of the whole stuff, so someone wouldn't have to recompile everything. The files can be found at:

Note that this is not a enterprise-level SDK, it's a DIY toolkit.

Here are some snippets from mail I wrote before. They should get you started.

Create a work
directory and unpack the archive into it. The entry point is the shell script
build.sh. In order to use it, you'll need a working MinGW/MSYS installation
(including all the autotools: autoconf, automake...)

You need to setup your system such that MSVC tools are in your PATH
when you start a MSYS shell. That is "cl //?" should work ok in a MSYS
terminal. You should also be able to compile and link a Win32 program
without any additional flag, that is INCLUDE and LIB environment variable
should include the Platform SDK directories. Here's for instance the
minimal batch script I use to start a MSYS shell with the correct setup:

@set VCLIBSDIR=C:\Software\V9CLibs
@set MSYSDIR=C:\Software\MSYS
@call "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\vcvarsall.bat"
@set PATH=%VCLIBSDIR%\bin;%PATH%
@set INCLUDE=%VCLIBSDIR%\include;%INCLUDE%
@set LIB=%VCLIBSDIR%\lib;%LIB%

From MSYS terminal, cd into your work directory and type something like:

./build.sh --msvc -v --prefix=/c/Software/VC9Libs octave

The last argument is the module you want to compile. My build scripts
feature a dependency system. Unfortunately, missing dependencies
are not resolved automatically, so you'll have to run backwards: try to
compile octave, see what's missing, the try to compile the missing deps
first, if it fails, try the deps of the deps...