Re: [OctDev] How can I help with translation?

From: 胡小柯
Subject: Re: [OctDev] How can I help with translation?
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 17:30:14 +0800

2012/9/4 Michael D Godfrey <address@hidden>:
> On 09/03/2012 01:50 PM, Carnë Draug wrote:
>
>  Or, maybe I could translate the manual on this website
>> http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/octave.pdf
>>

> It would not be good to start from the current English PDF.  This
> is created by the Octave build system from a set of input files.
> An important challenge will be how to keep the translation in step
> with the English version.  The English language files are updated
> quite often, but the people doing this typically do not know Chinese.
> Some fairly automatic means to telling the translators that a English
> file has been updated will be needed.
>
> First, you need to learn how the current Manual gets built.  You
> can learn this by studying the build process from the Octave
> source.  This will take some work, but it would be of major
> value if you could complete a translation, and I am sure that
> other maintainers would help with technical issues about the
> Octave system.
>
> I have done translations of German and French technical
> material lately and one thing I know (for these languages) is
> that Google translate is very helpful.  I think that it knows Chinese,
> too.  It cannot handle whole sections (Chapters, say) of text, but
> it is good at phrases and sentences -- it lets you ask for alternate
> translations, for instance.  So, it helps recall particular words that
> you were searching for, for example.
>
> So, I hope you will not get discouraged by how much you need to
> learn -- it will not be all that hard.  And, it will be of great value to
> the user community.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Michael

Thanks, Carnë and Michael, And sorry for top posting.  I think the
manual(that PDF) is also helpful, so I decide to continue translate
it. And you suggest finding out how the help manual built by process
the Octave from sources, but I'm not good at programmer. Do I need to
read all the sources or which files build the help manual?