Re: MinGW build error (3) No rule to make target `corefcn/libcorefcn.la'

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: MinGW build error (3) No rule to make target `corefcn/libcorefcn.la', needed by 'octave-config.exe'
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 12:03:01 +0200

Philip Nienhuis wrote:
<snip>
Simply copying the relevant Qt4 libs QtCore4.dll, QtCore4d.dll,
QtNetwork4.dll, QtNetwork4d.dll, QtGui4.dll and QtGui4d.dll and
stripping them from the trailing '4' sufficed. Perhaps some more libs
may need this treatment to fix some glitches I see in the GUI.
<snip>
A few first observations:

- Missing icons on toolbars (they do show up on the Linux version)

Are these compiled into the executable?

- The Welcome screen comes up in an endless loop. The file
"<SRCDIR>/libgui/default-qt-settings" first must be copied to
%USERPROFILE%/.config/octave/qt-settings before the GUI picks up (bug
#37161)

- Octave complains about: "QObject::startTimer: timers cannot be started
from another thread" (2X)

... forgot to mention that Octave then hangs until the <ENTER> key is hit.

- Initially the terminal is only a few (15? 20?) columns wide.
> Only after changing font the full terminal width is used. I also
> saw that on the 3.6.2 MSVC GUI snapshot.

More exact: although the terminal seems wide enough, text is wrapped into 15?-20? char-wide column. Cause may be that text isn't redrawn if the terminal width is adapted within the GUI window. That only happens if the complete pane is moved and becomes a separate window, and then text is only shrinked in width when "needed", not expanded.

- Terminal is white text-on-black background. That gives me a headache
after a while, how can I change that? On Linux it is black-on-white by
default.

On MinGW the Octave executable seems to be recognized as a terminal (see previous thread on this). Selecting "start minimized" helps to get it out of the way. A positive side effect is that in the desktop / Start Menu shortcuts, setting colors to black text on white background makes the Octave terminal black and white as well. Only primary colors work.
The other panes are not affected.

Other things (mentioned here and not (yet) in bug tracker as they seem MinGW build specific):

- Setting the cursor shape and blinking on/off has no effect in the terminal. In the editor the cursor does blink and changes shape depending on Ins key status

- The terminal doesn't give any output from user commands. E.g., 'printf ("Hello\n")' gives no response, just the next prompt.
However, error messages and warnings do appear.

- quotes and double quotes are always duplicated (also on 3.6.2 MSVC snapshot)

- Using the fonts "Courier", "Courier New" and "DejaVU Sans Mono" the cursor position is way out of sync with the text (too far to the right). Also on MSVC 3.6.2 snapshot.

Philip