Re: MinGW build error (3) No rule to make target `corefcn/libcorefcn.la'

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: MinGW build error (3) No rule to make target `corefcn/libcorefcn.la', needed by 'octave-config.exe'
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 21:56:19 +0200

Michael Goffioul wrote:
On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 6:22 PM, Philip Nienhuis <address@hidden
<mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

    Michael Goffioul wrote:

        On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 3:26 PM, Philip Nienhuis
        <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>
        <mailto:address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>>__>
        wrote:

             John W. Eaton wrote:

                 On 28-Aug-2012, Philip Nienhuis wrote:
<snip>
                 | I wouldn't know how to get any further here. Suggestions?

                 Oops.  I think the following changeset will fix that
        problem:

        http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/____hgweb/octave/rev/b241e69306a5

             Thanks.

             Built continues a bit further, but then:

             libtool: link: g++ -shared-libgcc -g -O2 -mieee-fp
             -Ic:/Programs/gplibs/include/____freetype2

             -Ic:/Programs/gplibs/include -IX:/Programs/gplibs/include
        -Wall -W
             -Wshadow -Wold-style-cast -Wformat -Wpointer-arith
        -Wwrite-strings
             -Wcast-align -Wcast-qual -g -O2
        -Wl,--allow-multiple-____definition
             -Wl,--enable-auto-import
        -Wl,--enable-runtime-pseudo-____reloc-v2 -o

             .libs/octave.exe octave-main.o  -L/x/Programs/gplibs/lib
             -L/x/Programs/OctaveLibs/lib -L/x/programs/GnuWin32/lib
             ../libgui/src/.libs/liboctgui.____a

-LX:/programs/msys/home/____Philip/qt4/qt-everywhere-____opensource-src-4.7.4/lib
             -L/projetos/gcc/bld/452/build/____mingw32/winsup/mingw
             -L/projetos/gcc/bld/452/build/____mingw32/winsup/w32api/lib
             -L/projetos/gcc/bld/452/build/____mingw32/libstdc++-v3/src

        -L/projetos/gcc/bld/452/build/____mingw32/libstdc++-v3/src/.__libs

             -Lx:/Programs/gplibs/lib -Lx:/Programs/OctaveLibs/lib
             -Lx:/programs/GnuWin32/lib -Lc:/Programs/gplibs/lib
               -LX:/Programs/gplibs/lib

        /home/Philip/octdev/oct-3.7/____libinterp/.libs/liboctinterp.____dll.a
             -lQtCore -lQtGui -lQtNetwork -lqscintilla2
             ../libinterp/.libs/____liboctinterp.dll.a

        /home/Philip/octdev/oct-3.7/____liboctave/.libs/liboctave.dll.____a

             -lfltk_gl -lfltk -lole32 -luuid -lcomctl32
             /x/Programs/OctaveLibs/lib/____libhdf5.dll /mingw/lib/libm.a
             x:/Programs/gplibs/lib/____libfontconfig.dll.a
             /mingw/lib/libiconv.dll.a
        x:/Programs/gplibs/lib/____libfreetype.dll.a
             -lz /mingw/lib/libexpat.dll.a -lopengl32 -lglu32
             ../liboctave/.libs/liboctave.____dll.a
             /home/Philip/octdev/oct-3.7/____libcruft/.libs/libcruft.dll.a

             -lcholmod -lumfpack -lamd -lcamd -lcolamd -lccolamd -lcxsparse
             -larpack -lqrupdate
        /x/Programs/OctaveLibs/lib/____libfftw3.dll.a
             /x/Programs/OctaveLibs/lib/____libfftw3f.dll.a -lreadline
        -lncurses
             -lpcre ../libcruft/.libs/libcruft.____dll.a -lblas
             /mingw/lib/gcc/mingw32/4.5.2/____libstdc++.dll.a
             /mingw/lib/libiberty.a -lpthread
             /mingw/lib/gcc/mingw32/4.5.2/____libgfortran.dll.a -llapack
        -lgdi32
             -lws2_32 -luser32 -lkernel32
             -L/x/octave/octave-3.7.x/lib/____octave/3.7.0+

             -Lx:/Programs/gplibs/lib -L/x/Programs/OctaveLibs/lib
        -L/mingw/lib
             -L/mingw/lib/gcc/mingw32/4.5.2

x:/programs/mingw/bin/../lib/____gcc/mingw32/4.5.2/../../../..__/__mingw32/bin/ld.exe:
             cannot find -lQtCore

x:/programs/mingw/bin/../lib/____gcc/mingw32/4.5.2/../../../..__/__mingw32/bin/ld.exe:
             cannot find -lQtGui

x:/programs/mingw/bin/../lib/____gcc/mingw32/4.5.2/../../../..__/__mingw32/bin/ld.exe:

             cannot find -lQtNetwork
             collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
             make[2]: *** [octave.exe] Error 1

             make[2]: Leaving directory
        `/home/Philip/octdev/oct-3.7/____src'

             make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
             make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/Philip/octdev/oct-3.7'

             make: *** [all] Error 2

        I think you have the same problem as me, namely that DLL under
        Windows
        are suffixed with '4'.  This will require proper detection in the
        configure script. I'll try to come up with a solution in the
        coming days
        (I'm currently adding up a couple of patches to fix compilation
        under
        Windows).

    Could be that it is all Windows-specific. It builds fine under Linux
    (Mageia 2).

Yes, I think it only happens on Windows. Although technically it could
happen on any platform. It depends on how Qt has been compiled/packaged.

Nahhhh... sorry it took a bit of time before your previous post's contents dawned on me. Must have been a busy day today for me:-)

Simply copying the relevant Qt4 libs QtCore4.dll, QtCore4d.dll, QtNetwork4.dll, QtNetwork4d.dll, QtGui4.dll and QtGui4d.dll and stripping them from the trailing '4' sufficed. Perhaps some more libs may need this treatment to fix some glitches I see in the GUI.

Results of "make check":

  PASS     10475
  FAIL        10
  XFAIL        4
  SKIPPED     11

..and there are several "permission denied" tests ("X:\programs\msys\home\Philip\octdev\oct-3.7\..\octave\scripts\special-matrix/date.m: Permission denied"), I'll look into that.
Failed tests:
- mappers.cc: assert (isprint (charset), result) differs in column 10. \r\n versus \n line endings?
- data.cc: the usual (for MinGW) NaN vs Inf issue
- file-io.cc: locale issue with fr_FR (also known on at least MinGW)
- num2str ("known failure")
- doc.m (hmmm, I built with --enable-docs=no)
- imread.m (also known on MinGW)
- copyobj.m: <cannot find magic.mgk issue. Known on MinGW>
- ishghandle.m: "imread: cannot find default.img"
- residue.m: dimension mismatch (IIRC also known on MinGW)
- speed.m: "All running times were zero" both tests
- test_system: umask doesn't match Windows file system
Most of these failed tests do not look very serious. I'll see if I can fix some of them.

A screenshot of the MinGW GUI as it stands is attached (from ./run-octave in <BUILDDIR>.
A few first observations:

- Missing icons on toolbars (they do show up on the Linux version)

- The Welcome screen comes up in an endless loop. The file "<SRCDIR>/libgui/default-qt-settings" first must be copied to %USERPROFILE%/.config/octave/qt-settings before the GUI picks up (bug #37161)

- Octave complains about: "QObject::startTimer: timers cannot be started from another thread" (2X)

- Initially the terminal is only a few (15? 20?) columns wide. Only after changing font the full terminal width is used. I also saw that on the 3.6.2 MSVC GUI snapshot.

- Terminal is white text-on-black background. That gives me a headache after a while, how can I change that? On Linux it is black-on-white by default.

- Tab widths and tab order in the Workspace, Current Directory and Command History panel aren't preserved. A bit clumsy, hopefully that can be fixed in the future.

Anyway: Thanks for helping to compile 3.7.0+ on MinGW!

Philip