Re: GUI Qt figure window

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: GUI Qt figure window
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 20:35:45 -0500

On 08/24/2012 08:24 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

On Aug 20, 2012, at 9:20 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

Jacob,

I've managed to get the GUI working a little better and have tried plotting.  I
notice that the plot is coming up as gnuplot X11 window.  I checked, and
gnuplot now has a 'qt' terminal option that I've compiled.  Given that my
system is all set up for Qt 4.7 now, all I had to do is

./configure --enable-qt

when building gnuplot.  I've run gnuplot, selected the qt terminal and run the
demos.  Fonts and lines have good antialiasing properties.  The images scale
pretty well.  Large meshes can be somewhat slow (but there might be a way to
control Qt graphics speed according to the documentation).

The advantage with gnuplot qt terminal is that it has the same look and feel as
your GUI-O.  The menubar might not contain what you'd like for the GUI-O plots,
but there may be a way to work with that.  In gnuplot X11 term is a feature
where one can specify an X11 window ID as a container.  That is, create some
X11 app external to gnuplot to serve as a container, then set term x11 with an
X window ID and gnuplot will plot into that window without all the added X
stuff.  qt terminal appears to have a widget ID; my first guess would be that
it is a similar sort of thing.  That means you should be able to create the
layout for a GUI-O plot and pass in some widget for gnuplot to use.

Whatever platform GUI-O is built on will have the Qt environment all set to go
so one can easily build gnuplot with qt support.

The only issue is being able to issue Octave a command to switch the terminal
from x11/aqua/win to qt from the Octave command line.  I know that sort of
thing is done internally in order to print, but external access may be hidden
from the user now.  (I don't think we want Octave without GUI messing with Qt
terminal.)

Dan

Just tested the MacPorts gnuplot with qt enabled.  The anti-aliasing is as good
as that provided by AquaTerm.

The legends need some work (no spacing between entries).  My gnuplot is 4.6.0.
Perhaps the legends in 4.7 have been improved?

Ben

I haven't followed qt term development so I can't say. I'm on a Linux machine, but I do know there is one gnuplot developer using MacPorts so if you find problems you can probably described them to the gnuplot discussion list without having to dig into code. The latest code is in CVS, description here:

http://gnuplot.info/development/index.html

Dan