Re: Build warnings for documentation

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Build warnings for documentation
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 18:55:32 -0500

On 08/24/2012 04:18 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
On 08/24/2012 12:05 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

I'm going to go back to a couple versions of Octave associated with this
Makefile changing to see if the issue is might be with a change there.
(Likely a change somewhere else effected things.)

I'm having similar issues with a version from May

date Fri May 18 11:56:35 2012 -0700 (3 months ago)
[snip]
I will investigate this code.

OK, a little progress here. No solution but I think I've narrowed it down to the directory issue we were wondering about.

A several month old version not building properly made me wonder how this could have gone on unseen to this point, so it must be something I'm doing.

I'm now regularly building in a directory separate from the source. So I built a fresh copy of Octave keeping the build and source directories the same and the octave.info (i.e., *.txt) builds properly. There are no errors under the conventional scenario. I confirmed before the build were no *.txt files and afterward they are present.

What has me wondering still is why the *.eps, *.pdf, etc. have no trouble. The only thing that I can think of (and which the others don't have) is this dependency definition:

INFO_DEPS = $(srcdir)/octave.info

If one builds in a separate directory, then the destination for octave.info is no longer in the source tree. I thought the answer was to change "srcdir" to "DESTDIR", but that doesn't compile. But this stuff is so convoluted and slow to test. Try shortcutting a step to save test time and it never seems to work out properly.

Dan