Re: GUI compilation failing with Scintilla

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: GUI compilation failing with Scintilla
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 16:39:43 -0500

Laurent,

I eventually figured out on my system how to upgrade to qscintilla 4/5. (Version 3 was on my system and that has the header file with the ::findFirst having less arguments. I think you might have simply have gotten lucky by deleting the extra argument and running with the Qsci 3 library.) I downloaded the latest Qsci, but altered the instructions slightly because "qmake" on my system was associated with Qt 3.3 and didn't work with Qsci 4/5. I then found in the repository that qmake version 4/5 is called qmake-qt4, so this is what worked on my system:

    cd Qt4Qt5
    qmake-qt4 qscintilla.pro
    make
    make install

I verified Qt 4.7.4 and Qsci 2 8.0.2 are linked in.

Unfortunately, this hasn't improved anything; I still get the Welcome to Octave! infinite loop. So, I went to the manual creation of the "default-qt-settings" that several have described on the Maintainers list and got a little further:

 /usr/local/src/octave/octave-cellstr/octave/build3/run-octave
/usr/bin/ld: cannot open output file /usr/local/src/octave/octave-cellstr/octave/build3/src/.libs/15924-lt-octave: Permission denied

when running as a user (as opposed to root... running as root still fails). Why the hidden directory for the libs?

I installed octave and launched. Now I get the Welcome to Octave screen again which doesn't go away. I've tried other variations, but none worked.

Operation seems a little dodgy and I'm wondering if I have the right versions of toolkits. Seeing so many warnings about "this" pointer shadowing when compiling makes me wonder.

Dan