Re: Feedback on Agora Octave design

From: Jacob Dawid
Subject: Re: Feedback on Agora Octave design
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 13:50:51 +0200

There is not definite answer which website design is "the right one", because it always depends on various factors that are based on the target audience and the money you have. Which browsers do they use (some companies still use old IE)? What is the average screen size? Must the design fit a public image, or can it be utilitarian? How is the internet connection (for example, websites for mobile devices or regions with a bad connection have to be significantly smaller)? How much weighs the server bandwidth and server load?

All the questions lead to an (also visual) design. I would define the majority of users, ie. target audience like that:

1.) Browser that supports CSS 3.0 fully, ie. FF, Chromium and so on. No need to have tweaks or workarounds for IE, so we can ignore it.
2.) Screen size 1280x800 or bigger.
3.) Professional target audience => Very modern, clean design. That means, one toolbar on top (toolbars on top and at the bottom were stylish before 98'), actions on the frontpage, schematic logos, a maximum of two colors. Apple products aren't that popular because they are better by any means, but everything Apple does and they way the way they present it screams for perfectionism/professionalism.
4.) It has to be cheap, we should really care for bandwidth.

It is entirely wrong to map personal wishes on this project. For example, Carne, you mentioned you work with a netbook. But that is not representative, others might work with a stationary computer with a 24 inch screen. So you have to ask yourself: What is the best solution for ALL Agora users?