Re: Can we freely use AMOS in Octave?

From: Robert T. Short
Subject: Re: Can we freely use AMOS in Octave?
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 06:51:45 -0700

On 08/18/2012 06:36 AM, Steven G. Johnson wrote:
Dmitri A. Sergatskov wrote:

I received a copy of COULCC with an explicit MIT/X11 license directly from the original author. This version of the code (including the permission email from the author), along with a re-entrant C++ translation that I created (semi-automated, but not f2c), is available at:

    http://jdj.mit.edu/~stevenj/coulcc-20120813.tgz

However, the code (both the Fortran original and my C++ translation) has a problem that turned up in my evaluation: it has significantly worse accuracy than AMOS for some moderate-size Bessel orders (~ 10). The original author is taking a look at this, but at the moment it may be problematic as a drop-in replacement for AMOS.

However, AMOS's inclusion in SLATEC, which has an explicit public-domain statement by the national laboratories, seems like it may fix the licensing problem with AMOS and eliminate the need for ACM permission.

Steven

The "Amos" code was obtained from netlib, not the ACM. Here is what netlib says about restrictions on use:

Most netlib software packages have no restrictions on their use but we recommend you check with the authors to be sure. Checking with the authors is a nice courtesy anyway since many authors like to know how their codes are being used.

See http://netlib.org/misc/faq.html#2.3

And from the readme in the Amos directory on the netlib site

This algorithm is a package of subroutines for computing Bessel
 functions and Airy functions.  The routines are updated
 versions of those routines found in TOMS algorithm 644.

So this really isn't the TOMS code anyway. Furthermore, this code was published elsewhere (see the references in Amos' code). I really don't think the ACM owns the copyright to the code we are using, and I think the only person that can grant or revoke permission is Amos himself or more likely Sandia Labs. I emailed a friend at Sandia to see if he can find Mr. (Dr.?) Amos, but have had no response. This code was written almost 30 years ago, so I am thinking he will be hard to find.

If we decide to go another route, I will chip in and help.

Bob