Re: Can we freely use AMOS in Octave?

From: Robert T. Short
Subject: Re: Can we freely use AMOS in Octave?
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 20:25:35 -0700

On 08/10/2012 07:54 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
On 10 August 2012 19:20, Steven G. Johnson <address@hidden> wrote:
Jussi Lehtola wrote:
The GSL code only supports real arguments, whereas both Octave and Matlab
support complex arguments.
  .. so shouldn't this capability be added in GSL instead?

Possibly, but in the meantime Octave still needs complex-argument Bessel
functionality.
I don't think we're in such a rush. Realistically, complex-argument
Bessel functions are not a killer feature.

- Jordi G. H.

It is for me. On the other hand if push comes to shove I will help fix the problem. Making a good Bessel function routine isn't all that trivial, but the algorithms have been published and I think we could do just fine.

I don't think we should be getting our knickers in a knot though. The code on the netlib site is a modification of the original ACM code and I think the whole licensing thing is going to get real murky. I wonder if Amos is still around? He might be the best one to ask for permission. I will look into that.

Bob