Re: Agora proposal for SOCIS

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: Agora proposal for SOCIS
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 12:41:37 +0100

On 27 July 2012 12:27, Juan Pablo Carbajal <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 1:24 PM, Juan Pablo Carbajal
> <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> Don't the applicants need to be European? "I'm a second-year student
>>> studying math and computer science at McGill University in Montreal,
>>> Canada."
>>>
>>> Carnë
>>
>> Who's eligible to participate as a student in SOCIS?
>> In order to participate in the program, you must be a student. For the
>> purpose of this program, ESA defines a student as an individual
>> enrolled in or accepted into an accredited institution including (but
>> not necessarily limited to) colleges, universities, masters programs,
>> PhD programs and undergraduate programs. The institution must be based
>> in in one of the following states: Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech
>> Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy,
>> Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden,
>> Switzerland, the United Kingdom, Hungary, Poland, Estonia, Slovenia
>> and Romania. You should be prepared, upon request, to provide ESA with
>> transcripts or other documentation from your accredited institution as
>> proof of enrollment or admission status. Computer Science does not
>> need to be your field of study in order to participate in the program.
>> Additionally, ESA will require organizations with multiple assigned
>> students slots to select at least half of the students from ESA
>> states: Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland,
>> France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, The Netherlands,
>> Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom,
>> Hungary, Poland, Estonia, Slovenia and Romania. A scanned copy of
>> passport, national ID card or equivalent document will be asked in the
>> student's application form.
>>

> Canada belongs to the Commonwealth Realm (former British empire),
> therefore is European.
>
> Check this video to understand it
> http://youtu.be/rNu8XDBSn10

I'm in no way complaining about the applicant, quite happy about it.

Just got surprised about the Canada part. But that doesn't make it an
European country. It doesn't matter if it's commonwealth or not, it
doesn't make it an European country. Otherwise, many other countries
would be European too, including Australia and New Zealand. The reason
to include Canada is at the end of text, it's an ESA state (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Space_Agency#Member_countries_and_budget
), nothing to do with the old British empire.

Carnë