Re: [OctDev] bug with optim-1.1.0.tar.gz and mac os 10.7.4

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: [OctDev] bug with optim-1.1.0.tar.gz and mac os 10.7.4
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 07:15:57 -0400

On 6 June 2012 05:11, Olaf Till <address@hidden> wrote:
> In this case it would possibly be more suitable to make mkoctfile
> understand -framework, at least at systems which need it. I think I'll
> ask that on the Octave maintainers list.

If you go this way, the problem is deeper than just -framework. It's
not an easy problem to deal with, because I would like to also accept
*all* compiler flags, such as -fexceptions and -std=c++0x, but the
problem here is: if you pass unrecognised flags, do you pass them to
the preprocessor, the compiler, the assembler or the linker? mkoctfile
really wraps all of those. You will notice that mkoctfile makes two
separate calls, one to compile and one to link. And whatever change
you make, you have to make sure you don't break existing uses of
mkoctfile that rely on the current buggy behaviour of accepting -W
flags as warnings, which is a mistake  I made once.

There's also the issue that we have two mkoctfile programs, one in
bash and one in C++.

I would like to see mkoctfile get fixed so that you and other Apple
enthusiasts can use it to your liking, but the problem seems difficult
to solve in general.

- Jordi G. H.