Re: Race condition seems to be fixed

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Race condition seems to be fixed
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 06:33:28 -0400

On 21-May-2012, Michael Goffioul wrote:

| On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 9:19 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
|
|     There are some performance issues to be considered.  For example, with
|     a recent version of Octave, try
|
|      graphics_toolkit fltk
|
|     and then try to paste some text at the Octave prompt.  For me, this
|     results in a significant delay for each character of input.  There
|     seems to be no delay without the event hook.
|
|     Note that doing
|
|      graphics_toolkit gnuplot
|
|     does not remove the fltk event hook after it has been installed, so to
|     see the behavior without the event hook, you'll need to start Octave
|     in a way that never sets the graphics toolkit to fltk (avoid loading
|     your .octaverc file if it sets the graphics toolkit, for example).
|
|     Maybe there is a simple fix for this problem?
|

| Does it happen with any type of readline event hook or only with FLTK?

Oh, I see now that it also happens with something as simple as

  function foobar () end
  add_input_event_hook ("foobar");

so the problem is generic, and probably not the fault of the ftlk
callback taking too much time.

So Jacob, I think you should use the input_event_hook mechanism to
handle your callback.