Re: Race condition seems to be fixed

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Race condition seems to be fixed
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 13:04:42 -0500

On 05/21/2012 03:53 AM, Jacob Dawid wrote:
John,

I don't know whether I found the best place for the callback, but
practically it seems to work fine, very responsive and without any
performance loss. I wouldn't spend to much time on thinking about problems
that we don't have to face (yet).

With things as tricky as communicating data between apps where synchronization is important thinking things through from the beginning is imperative. You'll get in a situation where you believe it takes just a fix for this then fixing this breaks that or the issue manifests in some other way. And having put so much effort into a paradigm you'll be reluctant to toss it in exchange for what could have eventually worked out better.

As for the name: We can change that also, but I didn't find a better one.
Maybe "octave_loop_hook" or something similar?

How about something with the word "monitor" in it. I gather the main application here is monitoring variables that may be changing during (what could be long) computations?

Dan