Re: trouble compiling

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: trouble compiling
Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 12:47:00 -0400

On 19-May-2012, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

| I agree that the comments were geared for those building from a tarball,
| and what I proposed for comments may still be too directed to
| non-developers.  How about reducing it further to simply:
|
|   OCTAVE_CONFIGURE_WARNING([flex not found.  Needed to reconstruct lex.cc.])
|
|   OCTAVE_CONFIGURE_WARNING([bison not found.  Needed to reconstruct
| parse.cc])

The current wording is

  I didn't find flex, but it's only a problem if you need to reconstruct lex.cc

So I don't really see much difference, except that the current wording
attempts to give some clue that you will not normally need to install
flex.

The configure messages are meant for people building from tarballs.

People building from the VCS are supposed to be developers who will
know what to do.

Let's not over think this, or waste a huge effort on something that
might be a problem for only a very few people.

I think there are many more important problems to worry about.  For
example, pick one from this list:

  https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=octave