Re: trouble compiling

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: trouble compiling
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 14:06:35 -0400

On 17 May 2012 23:41, Luca Citi <address@hidden> wrote:
> then, if you have already messed up your clone of the octave repository:
> $ make clean
> $ hg st -un0 | xargs -0 rm

Guys, please be careful recommending commands like this without
commentary. The last command will erase anything in your hg repository
that isn't tracked by hg, and is in fact a reimplementation of the
dangerous purge extension:

    http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/PurgeExtension

I like hg's general ethos to be very conservative about dangerous
commands, so I'd like to follow this in Octave. I don't want anyone
losing data accidentally due to blindly following bad advice. Data is
sacred. Be careful.

Furthermore, I recommend you keep separate build and source
directories. There should be no need to purge the hg repo if you do
this.

- Jordi G. H.