Re: How do you define a new texinfo macro?

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: How do you define a new texinfo macro?
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 01:09:11 -0400

On 9 May 2012 11:16, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> On  9-May-2012, John W. Eaton wrote:
>
> | On  9-May-2012, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> |
> | | We have a tiny problem with the docstring for mldivide and
> | | ldivide. It's using backslashes in a the xcode macro, and
> | | texinfo has problems with that:
> | |
> | |     http://old.nabble.com/backslashes-in-macro-arguments-td28884883.html
> | |
> | | A suggested workaround is to define a new macro just for
> | | backslashes instead of passing backslashes as macro arguments. I
> | | was unable to figure out how to do this. I tried monkeying the
> | | xcode macro, but I was unable to make it work, so I thought I'd
> | | just ask.
> |
> | You mean the @address@hidden \\ y}} part of the docstring?
> |
> | Hmm, when I do "help mldivide", the backslash from that shows up
> | but when I look at the Info version of the manual with "doc
> | mldivide" it does not.  That's odd, since both are supposed to be
> | processed with makeinfo.
>
> Oh, I see the difference now is probably due to mk_doc_cache.m
> stripping out our user-defined macros before passing the text to
> makeinfo.  So maybe something like the attached patch will work?

Oh, thanks, that seemed to work. Well, I mean, something happened, but
it didn't seem to work as a workaround as advertised in the texinfo
mailing list. That produced no backslash in plain text mode but
backslashes in texinfo and pdf output.

Eh, I don't think this problem is worth thinking about too much. I'll
find something else to busy myself with. Like improving Octave-Forge
integration.

- Jordi G. H.