Re: edit.m: patches to restore and fix old behavior for new files

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: edit.m: patches to restore and fix old behavior for new files
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 21:33:03 -0400

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 08:27:43PM -0400, Ben Abbott wrote:
> On Apr 18, 2012, at 4:55 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
>
> > Could be, I believe this is the change that stopped creating new files
> > in HOME and just edits them in pwd:
> >
> > http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/2ce6b4258e96#l2.155
> >
> > Ben, was this intentional?
>
> Yes, it is intended that the default working directory be pwd ().

Ok, I can live with that.

> > If so, why was that changed but still copy existing function files
> > into HOME (line 184, same changeset)?
>
> hmmm ... do you have write privilege to the m-file you tried to edit ?
>
> If the file is modifiable in place then it will opened in its original
> location. If you do not have write privilege, then a copy is opened in
> HOME.

I got that, I just wonder why new files are put in pwd() now while a
copy of an existing m-file is opened in HOME.  Is that not more
confusing to a new user?  It certainly confused me :)

If we're saying the default working directory is pwd(), then shouldn't
it be the same for these copies of system functions too?  Just get rid
of HOME and replace it with pwd()?  I liked the HOME setup, but I like
consistency more.

--
mike