Re: make check gives 258 errors

From: Michael D Godfrey
Subject: Re: make check gives 258 errors
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 19:17:40 -0400

On 04/17/2012 06:26 PM, Thomas Weber wrote:
On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 07:45:55AM -0700, Muhali wrote:
>  >  I knew I couldn't expect any code from you, Sergei, only more insults.
>  >  keep your insults to yourself.
> > I usually like the tone of this list, or of this community in general. > > A committer pushed an imperfect commit, and a user did an imperfect posting
>  about this imperfect commit.
> > No big deal. We should all relax a bit.
I think Jordi is right, though. Sergei is complaining*all the time*,
yet you never see*any*  code from him. Frankly, apart from mails telling
people how they should do things in a pretty insulting way, I have yet
to see any useful contribution from him.

        Thomas
Of course Jordi is right. And, I will even sort of agree that being right is more
important than being especially polite.

If anyone wants to know about the best programming practice, look to
JPL.  They do check things, but they also know that errors slip through.
So, (unlike the ESA folks) they always leave their debugging system in their
production code.   Not only is their code pretty reliable, but their success
rate for recovery from errors at places like Mars, is spectacular. They have
used the debug system to help figure out what has gone wrong and then used
it to apply the patch needed to fix it. For them, talking to Mars went pretty
smoothly!

I doubt if they went to Sergei's school.

Michael