Re: Identification string for Octave script detection in VIM

From: Júlio Hoffimann
Subject: Re: Identification string for Octave script detection in VIM
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 19:36:16 -0300

Hi Luke,

I totally prefer the b:matlab_flavor='octave' scheme, let's wait to see how VIM devs will handle this scenario. I just want Octave syntax officially distributed within my favorite editor. :-)

Regards,
Júlio.

2012/4/16 Luke M <address@hidden>

Júlio Hoffimann wrote

> Updating...
>
> The flag idea is being discussed again, some VIM devs think Octave/MATLAB
> should be handled such as LaTeX/ConTeXt, that is, an additional flag for
> setting the preference. For enable Octave keywords the user would have to
> add "let b:matlab_flavor='octave'" to his .vimrc.
>
> Good night,
> Júlio.

Since I'm a vim and Octave user I suppose I'll chime in so you have some
more responses.

Firstly, I'm perfectly fine with this manual solution.  I tend to write
Matlab-compatible code, and anytime I use Octave I'm usually on a machine
that doesn't have Matlab (so my vimrc sets the filetype to Octave for all
*.m files) and vice versa.  If a vim user has to work with both at the same
time and switch back and forth, I expect he would map a key combination to
switch between them as Mike said.

But about auto-detect, does vim detect the comment symbol in a file?  If so
it seems like a basic attempt at auto-detecting Octave files (if extension
is '*.m' and comment symbol is '#') might be nice to have.  And maybe check
for #!*octave* on the first line.

Other than that I don't think it's worth the effort to develop something
fancier.  I seriously doubt anyone will adopt the convention to begin or end
all files with a special comment just for vim users.  I agree with Gary's
comment on the vim mailing list: