Re: graph partitioning w octave

From: Levente Torok
Subject: Re: graph partitioning w octave
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 21:41:20 +0200

Hi John,

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 11:52 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 13-Apr-2012, Levente Torok wrote:
>
> | > This question is really for the help list...
> | Maybe yes. I just wonder why the hell metis is worth having installed
> | during compile if no interface is provided to access it directly from
> | octave cli.
>
> I'm not sure I understand what the problem is, but the METIS library
> is not used by Octave because it is distributed under terms that are
> incompatible with the GPL.
>
> Octave's configure script does not check for the METIS library.
>
> If someone linked your copy of Octave with it, they should not be
> distributing the result.
>
> jwe

After reading this
"METIS 4.0.1: graph partitioning and sparse matrix ordering. Used by
CHOLMOD, but optional."
on page
http://www.cise.ufl.edu/research/sparse/cholmod/
made me feel that metis in cholmod by default which might be compiled
against octave core.
This is why I was mislead.

In this case, I simply miss a sparse graph partitioning tool. :)
Thanks John,

Lev