Re: why is the wiki page on building octave so lacking?

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: why is the wiki page on building octave so lacking?
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 20:53:02 -0400

On 14 March 2012 19:25, Oz Nahum Tiram <address@hidden> wrote:
> I've noticed that the wiki page
> http://www.octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=Build_from_source
> has been significantly trimmed.
> I also realize that most of the stuff is now migrated into the
> official documentation,

Actually, it was always in the documentation. The wiki page just a
copied from the stuff in the manual. If we are going to be maintaining
documentation, I'd rather maintain only one copy of it, not keep two
independent copies updated.

Furthermore, each Octave release needs its own set of build
instructions. It's important to version the build instructions
alongside the Octave release they're documenting.

If maintaining the actual Octave documentation is too laborious (i.e.
if the "make a changeset" barrier is too high), perhaps we can work
out something else.

- Jordi G. H.