Patching cov.m on current stable

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Patching cov.m on current stable
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 13:18:24 -0400

On 12-Mar-2012, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

| I'm wondering what to do about Ismael's cov.m patch... Ismael patched
| relative to 3.4.3... but I'm not sure if his patch is "serious" enough
| for stable. I merged it from 3.4.3 to 3.6.2, but I'm not sure if this
| really is a patch that should go on stable or if I should rebase it to
| default. I could also merge directly from 3.4.3 to default, but this
| leaves two heads on stable, and I think this might confuse other
| people.
|
| What I have right now is the patch on 3.4.3, merged into 3.6.2
| (current stable tip) and then merged again into default. AIUI, we're
| only patching regressions and serious bugs in stable. Is this bug
| serious enough? If not, I'll rebase, but I prefer to preserve the
| integrity of people's patches and actually put people's names next to
| the change they actually made, including the revision relative to
| which they patched.

We've discussed cov incompatibilities before.  Please look at this
thread:

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/covariance-matrix-td1607376.html#a1607378

I'm willing to reconsider the decision, but I think you should be
careful about how you make this modification as apparently some people
depend on the current behavior.