Re: Google Summer of Code 2012: Call for projects and mentors

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Google Summer of Code 2012: Call for projects and mentors
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 22:58:31 +0000

2012/2/14 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden>:
> As part of our application for Google Summer of Code 2012 application,
>
>    http://octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=GSoC_2012_application
>
> we ought to create a good-looking suggestion page for students that
> says what projects are good for students and who might mentor them:
>
>    http://octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=GSoC_Project_Ideas

Jordi,

First, nice job, well done.

I see that you considered as a possible project the implementation of
a Qt plot widget. QtHandles already does that (plus a significant part
of the uifoo functions). Where does the proposed project fit in this?

Also concerning the project about a graphical design tool for tuning
closed-loop control system, I would consider this as an application of
2 more fundamental missing pieces in octave:
1) the ability to select an object within an axes; I've already
searched a bit about that topic and OpenGL provides mechanisms to
select an object in a 3D scene (see for instance
http://glprogramming.com/red/chapter13.html); what we then probably
need is a specialized OpenGL renderer (inherited from the existing
one) that adds selection functionality
2) once an OpenGL selector is available, it can be used in the backend
(like FLTK or QtHandles) to implement select/drag operations of
graphics object using figure properties like WindowButtonDownFcn,
WindowButtonMotionFcn and WindowButtonUpFcn.

Michael.