libblas for windows(Re: Octave3.6.0_gcc4.6. 2 mingw binaries for testing

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: libblas for windows(Re: Octave3.6.0_gcc4.6. 2 mingw binaries for testing)
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 08:59:13 +0900 (JST)

Hello

As reported in the bug tracker:
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?34822
matrix calculation is not stable for windows binary.

This might be due to the stability of the ATLAS.

Recently I have succeeded the ATLAS 3.8.4 using self complied gcc-4.5.3 on
cygwin on the HT-Pentium.
This ATLAS seem to be more stable that have been used.

I will use this ATLAS for octave-3.6.1. (Octave 3.6.1 will appear in the very
near future.)

However, this ATLAS uses the SSE3 so that it might be unstable for the CPU that
does not have the SSE3.

OTOH, libblas.dll can be replaced.

You can use self-build libblas.dll.  One of the powerful candidate is OpenBLAS.
OpenBLAS is an optimized BLAS library based on GotoBLAS2 1.13 BSD version.

http://xianyi.github.com/OpenBLAS/

The performance of OpenBLAS seems to be higher than that of the ATLAS.

If I will have time,. I want to describe how to build ATLAS and OpenBLAS for
MinGW version octave on the Octave Wiki.

Regards

Tatsuro