Re: locale support patch for [fs]sscanf function

From: CdeMills
Subject: Re: locale support patch for [fs]sscanf function
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 02:12:53 -0800 (PST)

John W. Eaton wrote

> On 18-Jan-2012, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>
> I think that we should back off on this and consider locale support
> more generally before pushing anything related to locales.

I looked yesterday at the implementation of boost::locale at
http://cppcms.sourceforge.net/boost_locale/html/index.html

See in particular the comments about "Common Critical Problems with the
Standard Library". I agree that there should be something more global, but
first we have to ensure that UTF-8 strings can be used everywhere. For
instance:
octave> sprintf("%d bétises (%d stupidities)", 18, 18)
ans = 18 bétises (18 stupidities)

works on my machine, but will it work on each machine/compiler combo ? What
if The Others come with their own locale implementation using a totally
different interface ? Should we consider adding more libs, like ICU ?

My current implementation is minimalist and does not change current
behaviour. I'm OK with dropping it once we get more general locale support.
For now it permits me to solve pratical issues with files produced with
french locales.

Regards

Pascal