Re: sparse functions abort instead of memory exhausted

From: marco atzeri
Subject: Re: sparse functions abort instead of memory exhausted
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 21:22:15 +0100

On 1/5/2012 8:08 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

On Jan 5, 2012, at 1:55 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:

On  5-Jan-2012, John W. Eaton wrote:

| On  5-Jan-2012, marco atzeri wrote:
|
| | on cygwin with latest tip
|
| Please give the output of "hg id".  Mercurial archives have a single
| "tip" revision, but that might not be on the branch you are using.
| Specifying the exact changeset ID uniquely identifies what sources
| you are using.
|
| | on several sparse functions I noticed
| |
| | octave:19>  sprand(1e5,1e5,.1)
| | panic: Aborted -- stopping myself...
| | attempting to save variables to `octave-core'...
| | save to `octave-core' complete
|
| I don't see this behavior on my system.  I get an out of memory error
| as you saw with previous versions.

I should add that the behavior I see is with both

  e530656055ae (default branch)
  f1ff06a1d73a (stable branch)

Also, I'm using a 64-bit system with 16GB of memory.  I haven't tried
this example on a 32-bit system, or a system with less memory.

jwe

On MacOS 10.7.2 with 8GB of memory and Octave built with -m64, I also see "memory
exhausted" for both stable and default.

sprand(1e5,1e5,.1)
error: memory exhausted or requested size too large for range of Octave's index
type -- trying to return to prompt

$ hg id
f1ff06a1d73a+ (stable) tip

$ hg id