Re: Octave 3.5.90 snapshot available for ftp

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Octave 3.5.90 snapshot available for ftp
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 16:19:54 -0500

I'm forwarding this message to the list since I might not have time to
deal with it in the next few days.

Generally, it's better to use the mailing lists instead of contacting
me directly about Octave.,

Thanks,

jwe

Forwarded message from Alexander Hansen:

On 12/15/11 9:45 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:
> [Oops, I really thought I had sent this message, but there it was,
> hiding out as a draft in an Emacs buffer.  No wonder there were no
> replies... --jwe]
>

> A new snapshot of Octave is now available from alpha.gnu.org in the
> directory /gnu/octave:
>
>   54442245b840483f40b9c0f9026b1256  octave-3.5.90.tar.gz
>
>   -rw-r--r-- 1 3003 3002 18107269 Dec 12 04:17 octave-3.5.90.tar.gz
>
> The snapshot is tagged in the usual way (ss-3-5-90) in the Mercurial
> archive.
>
> Please remember that these snapshots are provided for testing
> purposes.  I do not consider them to be Octave releases.  If people
> think there will be confusion because of the version number, then we
> can add a notice to the Octave startup message.
>
> I plan to release Octave 3.6.0 in the next few weeks.  Even if you
> have been building Octave regularly from the Mercurial archive, it
> would help if you could build from the snapshot and report any
> problems.
>
> jwe

I've got a little OS X-specific issue.  We scan our package builds for a
number of standard problems, and this one showed up:

Validating .deb dir /sw64/src/fink.build/root-octave3590-atlas-3.5.90-200...
Error: The -framework flag may get munged by libtool. See the gcc
manpage for information about passing multi-word options to flags for
specific compiler passes.
        Offending file: /sw64/lib/octave/3.5.90/liboctinterp.la
        Offending line: inherited_linker_flags='  -pthread -framework AGL
-framework OpenGL -framework ApplicationServices -framework Cocoa'

Those bare "-framework foo" should be converted to "-Wl,-framework,foo"
on OS X so that anything using libtool to build against liboctinterp
will link properly.
--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison