Re: library versioning

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: library versioning
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2011 11:58:58 -0500

http://www.gnu.org/s/libtool/manual/html_node/Updating-version-info.html#Updating-version-info

| > it looks like the minimum changes in version numbers would be
| >
| >   libcruft:     0.0.0 -> 0.0.0
| >   liboctave:    0.0.0 -> 1.0.0
| >   liboctinterp: 0.0.0 -> 1.0.0
| >
| > For the future, I would consider merging the three libraries into one,
| > but with debugging symbols, that would generate a 325MB file on my
| > system.  That seems quite large, especially when we have to generate
| > it often.  I think it helps to keep it in separate chunks.
| >
| > Comments?
| Wouldn't it be easier from the user perspective if they were versioned
| identically?  I'm imagining running mkoctfile and having to check the
| versioning of 3 libraries versus only checking 1 version number.  Are there
| actual situations where users might only link against one of the three
| libraries, or is it pretty much all or nothing?

As I understand it, the version numbers are only used for the system
to determine whether it is OK to dynamically link a program with the
library.  Users should not need to know about the version numbers.
They should only be linking with -loctinterp -loctave -lcruft and
mkoctfile should not be checking version numbers either.