Re: Is FLTK the default toolkit for 3.6.0?

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Is FLTK the default toolkit for 3.6.0?
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 14:56:40 -0500

On 24 November 2011 02:04, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 23-Nov-2011, Rik wrote:
>
> | Are we upgrading the FLTK toolkit to be the default plotting engine?  If
> | yes, then a bunch of FLTK bugs on the tracker probably become blockers.
> | For example, segfaulting when values larger than bitmax ('single') are used
> | or the fact that reported mouse coordinates are not accurate.
>
> If making the OpenGL+FLTK graphics the default turns these bugs into
> blockers, then I don't think we want to make the switch.  I don't know
> how to fix these problems, and since some of the reports are months
> old, I don't see them being fixed quickly.  I don't want to wait
> months for a release because of this.

Do we have any objective way to measure if right now fltk is better or
worse than gnuplot? Of course both are buggy because both are bits of
software, but I do think it's time to take the plunge. It's only about
changing a default and getting more bug reports about OpenGL where we
can actually do something to fix it and fewer about some odd
peculiarity of gnuplot that varies by gnuplot version and platform.

I say we take the plunge.

- Jordi G. H.