Re: Obsolete warning IDs

From: Rik
Subject: Re: Obsolete warning IDs
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2011 09:37:30 -0800

On 11/05/2011 01:07 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
> imag-to-real and num-to-str are used in various matrix functions, so
> they should probably not be removed.  But if they are used
> inconsistently, then maybe we should decide whether to try to be
> consistent or just remove the warnings.  I guess it depends on whether
> the inconsistent warnings are helpful.
I couldn't get these warnings to "fire" which is why I thought they might
need deletion.  The documentation for num-to-str in warning_ids even gives
an example --- that doesn't do anything.

[ "f", 111, 111 ]

> reload-forces-clear is used in dynamic-ld.cc, so it should probably
> not be removed.
I couldn't figure out a way to get this one to fire either.  I tried
setting breakpoints but I never got the code to execute.  This could be
wrapped up in the whole inability to clear command-line functions.  When I
created a test file with multiple functions in it, and either executed or
sourced it, the list of functions were reported as command-line functions
rather than having come from a file.  This warning is supposedly about
multiple functions coming from the same filename and that information may
have been lost.

I would vote for removing the obsolete warning from 2002 and 2005 that you
identified in a previous e-mail.

Separately, I have found the following warning IDs by grepping through the
code.  I have added them to the list of possible IDs in warning_ids.m, but
they are not documented.

"Octave:abbreviated-property-match"
"Octave:built-in-variable-assignment"
"Octave:fopen-file-in-path"
"Octave:glyph-render"
"Octave:load-file-in-path"
"Octave:logical-conversion"
"Octave:md5sum-file-in-path"
"Octave:missing-glyph"
"Octave:nested-functions-coerced"
"Octave:noninteger-range-as-index"
"Octave:recursive-path-search"
"Octave:shadowed-function"
"Octave:singular-matrix-div"
"Octave:sqrtm:SingularMatrix"

The hg repo is having issues at the moment, but I'll check in two
changesets on warnings as soon as it is back up.

--Rik