RE: Automatic code generation

From: William Krekeler
Subject: RE: Automatic code generation
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 13:27:09 +0000

With regard to automatic code generation, I don't have any code but I have
abstract thoughts (mostly questions). This would be really cool but why, ie
what is the end goal or user? I ask these questions for two reasons. The first
is that you need to know who the end user is before you define the syntax for
the 'pseudo-code used as the input for automatic code generation. Is your
syntax going to be more or less complex than the high-level scripting language
and many functions that Octave already provides? If less complex will this
hinder the end-users ability to generate useful code?

The second point, most of the people I have run into using octave/matlab are
solving a specialized problem unique to their dataset. While an automatic code
generator would likely ease their workload it is unlikely to be able to solve
the whole problem. Result, the end-user is learning two languages, 1) the
auto-code generation pseudo-code input syntax, and 2) octave. This violates
KISS.

If you move forward, put just as much or more effort up-front into defining the
input syntax than you actually do creating the underlying code that writes the
code. I wish you the best of luck in accomplishing your goal.

William Krekeler