Re: Concurrent maintenance of the Octave packaging

From: Jussi Lehtola
Subject: Re: Concurrent maintenance of the Octave packaging
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2011 10:10:56 +0300

On Sat, 1 Oct 2011 20:07:02 -0500
Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> wrote:
> Talking to jwe in #octave in IRC, he brought up an interesting point.
> Why don't we maintain the Octave packaging for various platforms
> (Macintosh OS X, Windows, debs and rpms) inside the Octave tree? And
> build them regularly? Even offer "use at your own risk" built debs and
> rpms from octave.org?
>
> The rationale is this: we can regularly check the status of the
> packaging and update it incrementally, possibly share maintenance.
> This is better than waiting for major releases and pile a lot of
> packaging work all at once.

I wouldn't mind you building RPMs, however the official Fedora RPMs
would still be built anyway using the spec file in the Fedora VCS. And
since RPM based distros are somewhat different, the same spec file
isn't expected to work e.g. on OpenSUSE, since the packages may be
named differently.

IMHO this would just duplicate the work, since anyway the current build
scripts for all linux distros are available on the internet.

The case for MacOS X and Windows is, however, different, since the
build environment is a lot more standard (or at least should be).
--
Jussi Lehtola
Fedora Project Contributor