Re: Octave's goals and motivations (Re: GUI)

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Octave's goals and motivations (Re: GUI)
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 15:29:57 -0500

2011/9/29 Victor Salit <address@hidden>:
> 2011/9/29 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden>
>>
>> Sigh...
>> No, you're not getting the point. Like I said many times, the GUI is a
>> high priority for the next release. Sooner if you help, kid.
>>
>> - Jordi G. H.
>
> Sooner if people stop discussing the 'evils' of proprietary software and
> start actually discussing GUI.

Evils. No scare quotes. Unless you think the problems I enumerated
about proprietary software (DRM, vendor lock-in, etc) are a great
thing and we should have as much of them as possible.

And no. Talk is cheap. It's cheap to dish out and doesn't slow work
down, and it's cheap that it doesn't by itself contribute to Octave's
development. Don't lessen your impact. You will help a lot more by
making something happen to release the GUI (can you offer money,
servers, build farms, someone who can help us build on Windows) than
by just telling us to shut up about proprietary software.

> BTW, when is the next release planned to be?

Today, actually. It just happened. Yay.

It's just a bugfix stable release, though. The next major release will
be around November or December. You're seemingly smart enough to use
Matlab even if you're not "a developer" (how do you write code for
Matlab, then?). If we write semi-detailed instructions for building on
Windows, can you help us do it and help us test the next development
release? That would do a lot of good and would get a working GUI in
your hands sooner.

Free software is all about selfishness. Your greed is good for us and
everyone else if you act on it accordingly.

- Jordi G. H.