gui comment

From: Levente Torok
Subject: gui comment
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 22:03:22 +0200

Hi Guys,

Recently I had to work with R a bit and I've fallen in love with
Rstudio, a GUI for R.
The reason I send this mail to inspire GUI for octave developers as well.

If you are interested, please have a look at http://rstudio.org/screenshots/
It has four panes:
1) source codes and viewed variables. This pane has TABs, so one may
switch among them.
2) list of variables and command line history.
3) command line interfacing
4) many things together:
  -- file management ( quick file browser , very useful. one may opens
source and data files),
  -- plot interface ( the plot interface is strongly polymorphic )
  -- package installations ( achieved by a simple click which
downloads, compiles, installs the packages )
  -- help + help search bar that uses indexes
And it is very robustly packed together.
It is worth checking guys to have some experience with it.

The only thing I miss, that is variable refreshing is not automatic in
the opened window 1).

Searching for octave + GUI in google gives
no hits related to the new GUI of octave community.

Cheers,

Lev