Re: Fwd: pcg.m replacement for OCTAVE

From: fork
Subject: Re: Fwd: pcg.m replacement for OCTAVE
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 03:49:52 +0000 (UTC)

> that says
>
>   All content contained in the MATLAB Central File Exchange may only
>   be used with MathWorks products.
>
> Even though the file exchange requires you to submit your code under
> the terms of a BSD-style license, they are claiming this additional
> restriction on it.  So I think we should be careful to obtain
> permission from original authors if we would like to use code from the
> file exchange with Octave.

Here is a hypothetical --

Would I be allowed to snarf all the interesting code on File Exchange with a BSD
license and put it a github repository, from which anybody can do anything?  Can
you edit BSD-licensed code in a non-mathworks editor like emacs?  Doesn't TMW
actually support matlab mode development?

I don't think this would actually serve any purpose except possibly wake up a
few nasty people better left sleeping, but I am kind of curious...