Re: format compact and loose

From: bpabbott
Subject: Re: format compact and loose
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2011 11:54:34 +0000 (GMT)

On Sep 06, 2011, at 10:18 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> wrote:

Moving to maintainers' list....

2011/9/6 Ben Abbott <address@hidden>:

> On Sep 6, 2011, at 8:41 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>
>> 2011/9/5 Zbigniew Komarnicki <address@hidden>:
>>
>>> So is there any possibility to obtain result similar as in matlab,
>>> i.e. the result will more compact when we use e.g.
>>
>>> to obtain something like this:
>>>
>>> octave:5> rand(2, 3, 3)
>>> ans =
>>> ans(:,:,1) =
>>>   0.602732   0.212420   0.216894
>>>   0.515855   0.749427   0.053278
>>> ans(:,:,2) =
>>>   0.24050   0.13761   0.79709
>>>   0.84495   0.77959   0.94395
>>> ans(:,:,3) =
>>>   0.16946   0.54929   0.15251
>>>   0.78924   0.86582   0.20346
>>>
>>> Is this currently possible or there should be introduce change in
>>> source code in Octave to obtain such 'compact result' ?
>>
>> No, I don't believe this is currently possible right now. I'm thinking
>> of pushing a patch to enable this on the development branch, but I
>> would like first some confirmation that this change isn't going to
>> break something. Is there a reason why we keep that space there?

> If you'd like to post it here, or to the developers mail-list, I'd
> be happy to test it.

Thanks for offering. My patch is attached. I'm not sure if this breaks
things if e.g. you're not using a pager or some other output
situations I haven't thought of. But you offered to test, so I'll let
you do that. :P

Also, for anyone checking my C++: I made the compact_format variable
visible in two more TUs besides its original pr-output.cc. Yes! A
global variable! ;-) But I think it's ok to pollute the global
namespace a little here.

- Jordi G. H.

Thanks Jordi,

In my spare time, I'll start writing test scripts for different classes.

Ben