Re: Why warning on configure --enable-openmp ?

From: Orion Poplawski
Subject: Re: Why warning on configure --enable-openmp ?
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 09:50:27 -0600

On 05/04/2011 10:12 AM, Alois Schloegl wrote:
On 05/04/11 15:41, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 3-May-2011, address@hidden wrote:

| I'm trying to use OpenMP within some mex-files, When configuring octave
| with openmp enabled,
| ./configure --enable-openmp
| one gets the following warning:
|
| configure: WARNING: You used the EXPERIMENTAL --enable-openmp option.
| configure: WARNING: Are you sure that is what you want to do?
| configure: WARNING:
| configure: WARNING: This option enables experimental SMP multithreding
| configure: WARNING: code that has had very little testing. There is no
| configure: WARNING: certainity that the results returned by Octave with
| configure: WARNING: this option enabled will be correct.
|
| However, there is no single
| #pragma omp
| within the whole source code of octave - OpenMP is obviously not used by
| the core of Octave. Therefore, I'm wondering what this warning is about?
| Should this warn about the possibility that some library might give wrong
| results? What is the problem the warning tries to warn about ?

The --enable-openmp configure option just checks for a compiler flag
and libraries. I don't think anything else was ever done with it.
Unless someone wants to take on the task of making this actually do
something useful, then maybe it should just be removed?

jwe

Yes, I think this warning should be removed. It is detrimental to the use of
openmp with in Octave. At first I was afraid of using openmp - because of
this. And it took me some time to investigate further.

I'm using openmp within some core functions of the NaN-toolbox (sumkskipn_mex
and covm_mex), and it shows competitive results of Octave against the
proprietary alternative. Actually, I see that Octave is up to 15% faster (in
CPU time as well as real time) than ML. That's a result, I do not see without
openmp. And as far as I can see, there are no detrimental effects. Therefore,
I suggest to go even a step further and --enable-openmp in the default
configuration.

I've got a question about using -fopenmp when building octave modules with mkoctfile. Does octave itself need to be compiled with -fopenmp in order to use -fopenmp with a module? I'm guessing that you would need to sync the use of that flag, but I'm not sure. Does anyone know? This is coming up for me because compiling GMT with openMP and octave support results in it trying to pass -fopenmp to mkoctfile (which fails due to unknown flag - bug is filed here https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?34169). But I'm thinking that it really shouldn't try and instead just let mkoctfile set the flags as used in compiling octave.

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                  address@hidden