Re: [Patch, Profiler] First hierarchical data

From: Daniel Kraft
Subject: Re: [Patch, Profiler] First hierarchical data
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 12:35:42 +0200

On 08/12/11 04:23, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> On 11 August 2011 10:58, Daniel Kraft <address@hidden> wrote:
>> this patch changes the profiler implementation to collect data in
>> hierarchical form. The flat profile is then calculated from that
>> data, so everything works as before. But in addition, it is now
>> also possible to get the full call tree -- namely via the second
>> output argument of __profiler_data.
>
> Looks good. It doesn't break anything and profiler still works and I
> confirmed that we do indeed get the call tree in the second
> argument. I've pushed and merged your patch:
>
> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/graph
>
> Btw, I noticed you weren't using trailing underscores in internal
> functions (more trivial style things), so I changed that.

Thanks!  Ah, yes, I did.  I thought that was the way to mark "internal
names" (isn't it so at least in C/C++?).  But thanks for spotting this,
I'll use __name__ in the future (or will try to remember at least).

>> Currently, there's not yet any function to interpret that on the
>> user side; but that will be next. I think this is a nice
>> intermediate stage to submit a patch.
>
> Okay, get that patch ready by Monday (or sooner?) and that will be
> the code that we will show Google. Then we can start looking at
> documentation and final polishing.

Here are two very small patches:

macros.diff just changes the profiler invokations to use macros, as
suggested by jwe elsewhere.  This seems also like a nice change to me,
since we could in the future easily change the macros; for instance, to
use a different profiler or whatever we like.  Besides, I think the
user-code now looks nicer.

hierarchical.diff is a tiny patch that just adds return of the
hierarchical data to profile('info').  This way, the user has a first
"official" way to get to it.

More is not likely to come from me until Monday, since I'm busy on the
afternoon now and then I'll spend the long weekend with my girlfriend.
(Monday is a public holiday in Austria.)

> Later, if you're still interested in Octave (hopefully!), we can
> start looking at pretty HTML output.

Since Monday is just the "soft" dead-line of Google, I can continue work
even "officially" during next week -- my plans are either writing the
mentioned profiler tutorial (or chapter in the manual or whatever) or to
build the planned interactive interface around profile('info').  Either
way, I'd like to do all of that in the end.  So it probably doesn't
matter much.

HTML output is another thing to do, but for me only after the two points
mentioned.  (Maybe because personally I don't think I'd use it much
myself -- rather the tree explorer interface if I want to look at the
hierarchical data in detail.)  If there's time, I'll think about it, though.

Yours,
Daniel

- --
or use https://safesend.domob.eu/
- --
Done:  Arc-Bar-Cav-Kni-Ran-Rog-Sam-Tou-Val-Wiz
To go: Hea-Mon-Pri