Re: Missing DLLs (was: Issues & questions building Octave-3.4.2 MinGW)

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Missing DLLs (was: Issues & questions building Octave-3.4.2 MinGW)
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 12:51:03 -0700 (PDT)

Miloš Komarčević wrote:

> Hi Tatsuro,
>
> Thanks for building the latest Octave on MinGW and making it available
> for testing.
>
> I have tried both 27/7 and 8/8 packages and have some problems with
> missing DLLs:
>
> For 27/7, it was the libwmflite-7.dll, and for 8/8 it is libltdl-7.dll.
>
> Both of these errors show up when I attempt an 'imread'.
>

> On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 01:36 AM, Tatsuro MATSUOKA-2 wrote:
>> --- On Tue, 2011/8/9, Philip Nienhuis  wrote:
>> > Do you have a description of how you put your Octave-3.4.2 binary
>> together?
>> > I'll try to describe in the coming weeks how I added the MinGW and MSYS
>> > directory trees + your OctaveLibs & gplibs etc. into your Octave-3.4.2
>> > binary. (I did it more or less using Benjamin's 3.2.4 binary as
>> template).

For a start, you can try to copy all /bin/*.dll files from Tatsuro's
MingW.zip into the /bin directory of his Octave-3.4.2 binary. Similar for
the other zips. Note: this is a rogue hack!!
It'll only work for missing dll's.

For compiling binary octave-forge packages more labor is needed.

I more or less copied the unzipped MinGW and MSYS trees into / of the
unzipped Octave-3.4.2 tree and added Windows PATH statements to the
MinGW/bin and MSYS/bin directories. fstab in msys/etc needs to be
appropriately adapted.
The other zips needed a more fine-grained distribution; many config stuff
has to be adapted as well.

As stated above, I'll describe in more detail how I did it - once I have
time & priority for that.
Until then you can just unzip Tatsuro's zips and place them in identical
locations as he did, add path statements and you're set. It's all described
in the readme he provided.

> I haven't tried building myself yet, but just an idea:
>
> Why not combine efforts and keep all MinGW related patches and
> instructions at one central place under version control, e.g.:
>
> http://octave.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/octave/trunk/octave-forge/admin/Windows/
>
> I see Benjamin already has scripts there that download and install the
> build environment and the dependencies for 3.4.x, why not build on
> that?

Of course, that is the whole idea.

A bit of an issue seems to be that MinGW and several of the dependencies
were not very stable, they changed constantly so these scripts were outdated
fairly soon.
But perhaps the situation is better now.

BTW building MinGW dependencies for several octave-forge packages is even
more problematic.
E.g., I tried to build ffmpeg libs (needed for the video package which works
beautifully in the 3.2.4 MinGW binary) but soon got stuck. I found several
prebuilt MinGW versions but these were "polluted" with VC++ headers.

All in all, MinGW is a bit "special".

Philip