Re: [OctDev] Octave-Forge bugs in the tracker?

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: [OctDev] Octave-Forge bugs in the tracker?
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2011 23:22:12 +0200

Carnë Draug wrote:
Hi everyone,

at the moment, only a small part of the octave-forge devs has given an
opinion on the subject. It would be nice to gather the opinion of
everyone else, even if it's just "I don't really care, it's all the
same to me".

Well if you really start pulling :-)

Formally combining the help-octave ML and the Oct-Dev (Octave-Forge) list for general help questions seems a much more obvious move to me. I think having one entry point for questions is much more obvious for average users than the two separate ones we have now. BTW I find the O-F ML layout very clumsy; one always has to scroll several screens down to see threads and there was something with dates or authors of last thread post that doesn't make sense (I forgot the details).

Combining the bug trackers could work OK, but given the current informal character and low traffic volume on the Oct-Dev ML I do not see a pressing need (yet). But I certainly won't resist. If the bug trackers are combined I think a clear distinction should be visible between core Octave and Octave-Forge bug reports. It should be possible to show only core Octave or only Octave-Forge reports, the latter perhaps even sorted by package.

Lastly I'm fairly happy with the -let's say: fairly relaxed- svn setup of OF. I find the stricter workflow of Mercurial a bit daunting (although I do understand very well why that is essential for core Octave). I hope that combining the bug trackers won't be a first step to moving all OF stuff to Mercurial too, sooner or later. IMO SVN suits fairly small projects like the individual OF packages very well.

Philip