Re: Cygwin, ptys, porting Quint to Windows

From: Marco Atzeri
Subject: Re: Cygwin, ptys, porting Quint to Windows
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 07:10:55 +0200

On 14/07/2011 3.56, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
How can we make Quint work on Windows? Pedro Lucas, QtOctave's
ex-maintainer, glanced over the Quint and rightfully noticed that it's
not going to work on Windows because it's using ptys to do terminal
emulation. I heard that cygwin can provide a compatibility layer that
will let us use ptys on Windows and will not require a substantial
rewrite of the terminal emulation code. Does anyone know more about
this? Can it be done transparently for Windows users who download the
binary?

TIA,
- Jordi G. H.
cygwin is a unix-like layer and have ptys, so in theory it is feasible, but I have not yet tried
to build it.

Windows is another matter and we can not reuse the cygwin approuch.