Re: Performance issues on Windows, suggests a MSVC build

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Performance issues on Windows, suggests a MSVC build
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 11:44:47 -0400

On 25-Jun-2011, Philip Nienhuis wrote:

| John W. Eaton wrote:
|
| > I was talking about people who are actually working on the core of
| > Octave itself, for Windows, not just writing .m files with Octave
| > running on Windows.
|
| By "...working on the core of Octave itself, for Windows..." do you mean
| working on those specific issues that make Octave look and work
| different under Windows than under Linux?
| Or also making Octave itself better, whether it runs under Windows,
| Linux, Solaris, OSX, etc.?
|
| The former is probably more or less part of, or related to, the
| development environment (or tool chain, or whatever it is called). Yes,
| the hardest part.

When I've been writing about "Windows developers for Octave", I'm
thinking about people who can build Octave from source on Windows
systems, package the result in the type of binary installer that
Windows users expect.  They should also be able to debug issues that
seem to come up only on Windows systems (see for example the
long-standing problem with Control-C interrupts, or the recent problem
that was reported with tmpfile).