Re: Performance issues on Windows, suggests a MSVC build

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Performance issues on Windows, suggests a MSVC build
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 14:40:22 -0400

On 24-Jun-2011, Judd Storrs wrote:

| I wonder if it could be related to line-ending translations? Does the log file
| have Unix/DOS/Mac line endings? You could try changing the line endings of the
| file and see if the performance improves.

Octave's load function opens all files in binary mode and then handles
CR, CRLF, and LF line endings itself so that these files can be loaded
on any system even if the line endings have not been converted to the
"native" type for the system Octave is running on.  So I would expect
the overhead of matching CR, CRLF, or LF is the same on all systems.